Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: A7 replica cabinet material

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Hostboard Member
    A7 replica cabinet material


    edharbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2010
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    A7 replica cabinet material

    After reading Panomaniac's thread on tweaking his A7s, I got to wondering if, rather than going to great lengths to stiffen my cabinets, it might be easier to just start fresh.

    My company makes both custom cabinetry and carbon fiber race car components, so I have access to a lot of technology, and the A7 cabinets just aren't all that big a deal.

    What material would be best? There are lots of options - very thick MDF - I can buy or laminate any thickness I want, the speakers would be VERY heavy. How about 2 layers of 1/2" MDF or plywood laminated to a 1" foam core? Very stiff panel, reasonable weight, and, I guess, pretty acoustically dead. Thick plywood? Again, I can buy or laminate any thickness I want; weight becomes an issue, and I'd guess that it wouldn't be as acoustically dead as the ply-foam-ply laminated panel.

    Any thoughts?

    Ed

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 replica cabinet material

    My vote is carbon fiber, bubinga, and Madagascan ebony...... ;^)



    -chris

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: A7 replica cabinet material

    Well you can get all fancy, but my vote would be for bamboo plywood. It's expensive, but very stiff, very dense. Seems to have rather good acoustic properties.

    If you can't find it or don't like it, use the densest, best marine ply you can get. And brace it.

    There is fancier stuff to build from, but I doubt you'll do better. Sand filled plywood walls would be the ultimate. Kinda hard to do on an A7, but if you are up for a challenge....

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 replica cabinet material

    Quote Originally Posted by edharbur View Post
    After reading Panomaniac's thread on tweaking his A7s, I got to wondering if, rather than going to great lengths to stiffen my cabinets, it might be easier to just start fresh......
    Maybe, but I'd think no matter what material you'd use, you would want to have bracing.

    Skip the MDF. It's cheap, but flexible. If I were going light weight, I'd think some sort of honey comb core would do well, but I really don't know how it would compare to other materials.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    HB Super Moderator
    A7 replica cabinet material


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: A7 replica cabinet material

    Are these cabs for your work enviroment still, if so just use birch plywood, they would be cheap enough.If you want to build for your home could always get Baltic Birch and it comes in differant thicknesses 1" well braced would do very well.

  6. #6
    Hostboard Member
    A7 replica cabinet material


    edharbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2010
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 replica cabinet material

    Well, I've thought about carbon/aluminum honeycomb core, but fragile and expensive. Bamboo ply is unstable - I've got left over material from a job 2 years ago that spontaneously splits while sitting in the rack. Baltic birch is easy and cheap, but is it the best I can do? If I'm going to brace, I might as well just modify what I have. If I brace, the braces will effect the air movement inside the cabinet. Does it matter? I don't care about the weight - within reason. If a 3/4" plywood speaker weighs 175 lb (which I've read, but don't believe) then a 2" MDF speaker would be 4-500 lbs. Yikes. These speakers would definitely be for the shop, and I definitely love the industrial look. That being said, my fiance has asked if I can get a pair for her very fancy living room, which is where the original cabinets would go if I opted to build myself a set of killer cabinets. Whoa!!!

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: A7 replica cabinet material

    I'd build Magnificent's for the living room if it were me...
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 replica cabinet material

    continued from "ooops... wrong thread...

    Hi Ed,
    Welcome! You're ahead of the curve, having experience and confidence in materials and construction. There are a couple of schools for boxes; brace/make rigid at intervals that ~remove resonance in the passband, or absorb the energy with constrained layers (like your "Oreo"/foam idea). I prefer the former... rather not waste the HE drivers on wiggling a box.

    Unless you have a fetish for vintage plywood, tweak whatcha got for a "feel" of it. Bracing/filling the flares yeilds the best return, then the vent. If cosmetics aren't a concern, thru-&-thru 3/4" dowels/all-thread are easy and effective bracing in the reflex area.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.